You know that feeling? When you can barely catch your breath and your heart is racing? You might start to get dizzy. You may feel like you’re gonna throw up. That’s cardio. We all need some cardio tips to make it through.
Let’s be real, cardio is brutal. It hurts. It’s not just hard on your body… It’s hard on your mind too. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve given up mid-cardio workout. Sometimes, it was my body telling me to stop. But most times, it was my mind.
How to Get Motivated to Run
When I was solely a cardio bunny, I would run for extended periods of time. I needed some serious motivation to get me through a 9 mile run. I needed something to keep me going when it was humid (not your typical humidity, but GEORGIA humidity), hot, and I had a side cramp that was trying to finish me off. So where did I get that motivation? You can’t get through a hard workout with a “meh…” attitude.
Getting and Staying Motivated to do Cardio
There are several key things that can help me keep my cardio workouts on track, even now that I do much more strength-training. They might not work for everyone… but if you’re struggling with your workout, anything is worth a try!
1. Kick-ass playlist
2. TV/ Movie (if you’re on a stationary cardio machine)
3. Having a plan so I know what I’m doing for the workout (and so that I don’t add or subtract things)
4. Short breaks spread throughout (If I know I’ve got a break coming up, my mentality changes from “There’s no way I can do this” to “Just do this much and you get a break!”)
5. Having a goal/ picture in mind* (Knowing what I’m working towards helps me tremendously!)
6. Proper nutrition and hydration* (Without these, you can’t hope to put in max effort and receive max results)
I’m probably forgetting a couple… but this is a good start!
What do you do to stay motivated in cardio workouts?
If you enjoyed this “7 Cardio Tips” article, you may also enjoy Steps to Reaching Your Fitness Goals and The Number One Thing You Need to Use if You Want a Better Workout!
Enter your email address to download the first workout of the CWPS Core Program for FREE!