Summer is great and all… but I’m ready for Fall! The August heat in Georgia is killing me. In fact, I think it was above 95 degrees today with 65-70% humidity. You can basically work up a sweat and get a workout in just walking to your car in the parking lot at the grocery store!
August is also the time that school is back in session – which for me, means back to work! We just finished up our first week of school. And, let me tell you, getting back into my school routine has been tough! Not to mention, the stress already associated with being a school counselor. Surviving that first week deserved some celebration of some sort. Champagne is the drink for classy celebrations, right?!
I might not be celebrating with actual champagne… but one of my fellow #SweatPink sisters just launched a new athleisure line at Fit & Flirty! Combining all of the sweeter things in life (champagne and fitness), what could be better? I guess you can call me a champagne sippin’ fitness fanatic! 😉
Now that I’m gearing up for the fall weather, I’m writing out some of my favorite workouts. I was able to get in a quick outdoor workout before it got too hot and humid this past weekend. And it was good enough to share with you all.
Champagne Sippin’ Fitness Fanatic Workout
Warm Up: Walk, jog, or do some dynamic stretches for a few minutes to get loose!
Set 1: 30 second plank, 10 tuck jumps (repeat 3-5 times)
Set 2: 15 squats, 50 jumping jacks (repeat 3-5 times)
Set 3: 10 crawlouts, 50 high knees (repeat 3-5 times)
Set 4: 20 walking lunges, 20 mountain climbers (repeat 3-5 times)
Set 5: 20 tricep dips, 50 butt kicks (repeat 3-5 times)
Cool down: walk or jog or a few minutes– then do some dynamic stretches
When you’re done with the workout, why not celebrate with some champagne?
P.S. COUPON CODE!! You can get 15% from Fit & Flirty until September 15, 2018 by using the code SWEATPINK3
Change it Up with The Surge
One of the best ways to keep yourself out of a fitness slump is to try a new workout or training type. I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again: You’re less likely to skip a workout if you are excited about doing it! And on the other hand, you are much more likely to get bored if you are doing the same workouts over and over again. Redundancy will inevitably lead to burnout. Don’t get to that point! Try a new workout style, who knows – maybe it’ll be your new go-to workout!
Related: How to Get Out of Your Fitness Slump with a Sledgehammer Workout
What is The Surge from Hedstrom Fitness?
Revolutionary. That’s the first word that comes to mind when I think of Hedstrom‘s products. They’ve released the Bosu Ball, the Kamagon, and now the Surge. According to Hedstrom, the “SURGE® is a product that lets you train for everyday life. A product that truly makes you better at everything! SURGE® is “living resistance” that builds an athletic core which can take anything life and sport can dish out through intense and dynamic training.”
The Surge is a long cylinder that you can fill with water. Filling it with water makes it heavier. Theres a nifty, convenient chart on the side that tells you what the Surge will weigh with however much water you put in! It’s basically a barbell at home that you can change the weight on, without having to have a bunch of bulky equipment lying around! Bonus feature: it really challenges your stability because the water moves around inside the Surge.
In case you don’t want to read those bulky paragraphs, let me break it down for you….
1. The Surge is like a barbell.
2. You put water in it to create resistance… The more water you add, the more it weighs!
3. It’s just one piece of equipment… No more bulky gym equipment lying around and creating mess in your home.
4. The water creates a more challenging workout – Hydro Inertia Training! The water moves around inside The Surge and creates an unstable resistance for your workout moves. Every exercise you do is more challenging with these hydro-inertia principles!
5. You can do almost any exercise with the Surge (and the Kamagon ball!) now… anytime, anywhere!
Related: Cardio-Blasting Jump Rope Workout
Hydro-Inertia Training Workout
I was sent The Surge from Hedstrom to try out and it is a game changer!! I now have a great way of lifting weights on days that I don’t feel like going to the gym. Try these exercises for a full body workout with your Hedstrom Fitness gear!
Featured Hydro-Inertia Exercises:
- Half Burpee: Start in the plank position with your hands in the Surge handles. Jump your feet inward towards your hands. You can either stand up, while keeping your back straight and your chest up, or you can jump your feet back to the start position!
- Bent Over Row: Bend forward, keeping your back straight, head in line with your spine, and knees slightly bent, with the weight hanging directly in front of you. Lift The Surge towards your chest and keep your elbows tight in towards your body. Then slowly return to the starting position. You can do these with an overhand grip or an underhand grip!
- Tricep Press: Hold the weight above your head. Slowly lower the weight behind your head… but make sure you keep your elbows inward by your ears. Slowly lift the weight back to the starting position. Side Note: It helps to stand with one foot in front of the other so that you don’t strain your lower back!
- Bicep Curl: Stand with a split stance (one foot in front of the other), which protects your lower back. Hold the Surge with an underhand grip. Bring the weight up towards your chest, keeping your elbows stationary by your side.
Other Exercises for The Hedstrom Surge:
- Chest Press
- Shoulder Press
- Front Raise
- Lunge (and all lunge variations)
- Squat (and all squat variations)
- Weighted Sit-Ups
- Oblique Twists (also known as Russian Twists)
- And the list goes on! Check out this video library which has TONS of exercises to do with Hedstrom exercise products!!
You can get the Surge, Kamagon, or other Hedstrom Fitness products at the Hedstrom website, and you can use the code: SPHF25 for the next month for 25% off!
*Disclaimer: This post is a sponspored post. I am thrilled to work with Hedstrom on this campaign! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Number one way to break out of a workout slump? Do workouts that make you feel badass. It’s a tried and true approach to fitness motivation! I broke out of my fitness downward spiral with a sledgehammer workout. And WOW! I felt on top of the world after this workout. All jokes aside: Workouts that burn fat, exercises that challenge you, and fitness routines that excite you will be your key to getting motivated to work out and staying motivated to exercise.
Burn Fat Faster with Fun Cardio Workouts
Speaking from personal experience, one of the biggest culprits of fitness burnout is boredom. If you’re dreading a mundane, boring workout, you’re more likely to come up with excuses to stay home. But on the other hand, when you are excited and pumped to go do a workout, you’re less likely to skip it. For example, I am 10 times more likely to skip my cardio workout routine if I know I’ll be running on the treadmill… And I’m 100 times more likely to lose my motivation to exercise if I’ve been running on the treadmill day after day. Whenever I feel myself lacking motivation or excitement to go to the gym, I start a new workout routine. Last year, I started to do jump rope workouts for cardio. This year, I decided to try a sledgehammer workout.
Related: Cardio Blasting Jump Rope Workout
Sledgehammer exercises can be done so that they target specific muscle groups or work your entire body; it just depends! My muscles were not expecting how difficult the work would be. When your muscles go through a routine, they get used to it. This can cause it to be harder for your muscles to grow.
Do you need more reasons why sledgehammer workouts are worth your while?
- You’ll be doing a strength and cardio workout in one
- You will work on your balance and hand/eye coordination
- You’ll exercise muscles that may be neglected in your usual workout
- You will burn A TON OF CALORIES
- It can be used at home, outside, or at the gym!
I was given the opportunity to try out the incredible Mostfit Core Hammer, which is GREAT for any fitness level. They sent me their Core Hammer free of charge, but don’t worry – all of the thoughts and opinions I share in this post are 100% my own!
If you’re a gym newbie or fitness beginner, you won’t have any problem trying the Core Hammer… And if you’re a gym rat or a fitness competitor, you’ll see the value in Mostfit’s hammer as well as the sledgehammer workouts you can do!
Pro Tip: You can do this sledgehammer workout without a tire (which is my FAVORITE part about it because who has a tire just laying around to smash with a hammer??).
Here are some of the exercises that kicked my behind during my sledgehammer workout with the Mostfit Core Hammer:
- Sledgehammer Slams: With every other workout hammer on the market, you’d need a tire to do this exercise (or else you’d destroy whatever you hit). But with the Mostfit Core Hammer, you can slam almost anything (Key Word: almost… Use your best judgment please! And test whatever you plan on hitting with a light tap before you really go for it). As you are slamming the Core Hammer down, slide the upper hand closer to the lower hand at the base; and as you are heaving the hammer back up, slide that same upper hand back to its starting position. Trust me: This helps.
- Diagonal “Tree Chops” or Baseball Swings: Pretend that you are chopping a tree or swinging a baseball bat while keeping your core and ab muscles stationary and facing forward (don’t turn your body while you swing). You’ll do this fat burning ab exercise and feel your six pack form!
- Squats (Two Handed Grip): This is an exercise to tone your thighs, lift your butt, work your ab muscles, and more. When you try it, you’ll really feel your entire body engaged and working hard to burn fat! Hold the sledgehammer with both hands as it is in the upright position. Perform a squat.
- Squats (One Handed Grip): This is another whole body fitness exercise. Therefore, your body will be working hard to burn more calories! Start with the Mostfit Core Hammer in the upright position in one hand (it’s a balancing act!), and perform a squat while balancing the hammer.
MostFit Core Hammer Honorable Mentions:
- Bicep Curls (*Hold the hammer in the upright position in one hand. Curl your hand towards your shoulder, while keeping your elbow locked in at your side)
- Shoulder Press
- Push Ups
Most of these exercises require you to do them with each hand. Since only ONE side of the hammer is weighted, you must give each side an opportunity to work harder! So, make sure that you perform all these sledgehammer exercises with the head of the hammer facing BOTH directions (i.e., do 10 reps for the right, and 10 for the left)!
Using unique fitness equipment can add so much value to your workout routine. If you aren’t sure how to do an exercise, do some research or ask a personal trainer (like me! I’d be more than happy to help). That being said, sledge hammer exercises are FUN and can make you feel like a gladiator. Just remember, when using a sledgehammer for working out, make sure you are aware of your surroundings too. You don’t want to hurt anyone or yourself!
If you’d like a MostFit Core Hammer, you can use the code ‘MFSW10’ at checkout on the MostFit website for a discount!!
*Disclaimer: This post is a sponspored post. I am thrilled to work with MostFit on this campaign! All thoughts and opinions are my own.