Change it Up with The Surge
One of the best ways to keep yourself out of a fitness slump is to try a new workout or training type. I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again: You’re less likely to skip a workout if you are excited about doing it! And on the other hand, you are much more likely to get bored if you are doing the same workouts over and over again. Redundancy will inevitably lead to burnout. Don’t get to that point! Try a new workout style, who knows – maybe it’ll be your new go-to workout!
Related: How to Get Out of Your Fitness Slump with a Sledgehammer Workout
What is The Surge from Hedstrom Fitness?
Revolutionary. That’s the first word that comes to mind when I think of Hedstrom‘s products. They’ve released the Bosu Ball, the Kamagon, and now the Surge. According to Hedstrom, the “SURGE® is a product that lets you train for everyday life. A product that truly makes you better at everything! SURGE® is “living resistance” that builds an athletic core which can take anything life and sport can dish out through intense and dynamic training.”
The Surge is a long cylinder that you can fill with water. Filling it with water makes it heavier. Theres a nifty, convenient chart on the side that tells you what the Surge will weigh with however much water you put in! It’s basically a barbell at home that you can change the weight on, without having to have a bunch of bulky equipment lying around! Bonus feature: it really challenges your stability because the water moves around inside the Surge.
In case you don’t want to read those bulky paragraphs, let me break it down for you….
1. The Surge is like a barbell.
2. You put water in it to create resistance… The more water you add, the more it weighs!
3. It’s just one piece of equipment… No more bulky gym equipment lying around and creating mess in your home.
4. The water creates a more challenging workout – Hydro Inertia Training! The water moves around inside The Surge and creates an unstable resistance for your workout moves. Every exercise you do is more challenging with these hydro-inertia principles!
5. You can do almost any exercise with the Surge (and the Kamagon ball!) now… anytime, anywhere!
Related: Cardio-Blasting Jump Rope Workout
Hydro-Inertia Training Workout
I was sent The Surge from Hedstrom to try out and it is a game changer!! I now have a great way of lifting weights on days that I don’t feel like going to the gym. Try these exercises for a full body workout with your Hedstrom Fitness gear!
Featured Hydro-Inertia Exercises:
- Half Burpee: Start in the plank position with your hands in the Surge handles. Jump your feet inward towards your hands. You can either stand up, while keeping your back straight and your chest up, or you can jump your feet back to the start position!
- Bent Over Row: Bend forward, keeping your back straight, head in line with your spine, and knees slightly bent, with the weight hanging directly in front of you. Lift The Surge towards your chest and keep your elbows tight in towards your body. Then slowly return to the starting position. You can do these with an overhand grip or an underhand grip!
- Tricep Press: Hold the weight above your head. Slowly lower the weight behind your head… but make sure you keep your elbows inward by your ears. Slowly lift the weight back to the starting position. Side Note: It helps to stand with one foot in front of the other so that you don’t strain your lower back!
- Bicep Curl: Stand with a split stance (one foot in front of the other), which protects your lower back. Hold the Surge with an underhand grip. Bring the weight up towards your chest, keeping your elbows stationary by your side.
Other Exercises for The Hedstrom Surge:
- Chest Press
- Shoulder Press
- Front Raise
- Lunge (and all lunge variations)
- Squat (and all squat variations)
- Weighted Sit-Ups
- Oblique Twists (also known as Russian Twists)
- And the list goes on! Check out this video library which has TONS of exercises to do with Hedstrom exercise products!!
You can get the Surge, Kamagon, or other Hedstrom Fitness products at the Hedstrom website, and you can use the code: SPHF25 for the next month for 25% off!
*Disclaimer: This post is a sponspored post. I am thrilled to work with Hedstrom on this campaign! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Number one way to break out of a workout slump? Do workouts that make you feel badass. It’s a tried and true approach to fitness motivation! I broke out of my fitness downward spiral with a sledgehammer workout. And WOW! I felt on top of the world after this workout. All jokes aside: Workouts that burn fat, exercises that challenge you, and fitness routines that excite you will be your key to getting motivated to work out and staying motivated to exercise.
Burn Fat Faster with Fun Cardio Workouts
Speaking from personal experience, one of the biggest culprits of fitness burnout is boredom. If you’re dreading a mundane, boring workout, you’re more likely to come up with excuses to stay home. But on the other hand, when you are excited and pumped to go do a workout, you’re less likely to skip it. For example, I am 10 times more likely to skip my cardio workout routine if I know I’ll be running on the treadmill… And I’m 100 times more likely to lose my motivation to exercise if I’ve been running on the treadmill day after day. Whenever I feel myself lacking motivation or excitement to go to the gym, I start a new workout routine. Last year, I started to do jump rope workouts for cardio. This year, I decided to try a sledgehammer workout.
Related: Cardio Blasting Jump Rope Workout
Sledgehammer exercises can be done so that they target specific muscle groups or work your entire body; it just depends! My muscles were not expecting how difficult the work would be. When your muscles go through a routine, they get used to it. This can cause it to be harder for your muscles to grow.
Do you need more reasons why sledgehammer workouts are worth your while?
- You’ll be doing a strength and cardio workout in one
- You will work on your balance and hand/eye coordination
- You’ll exercise muscles that may be neglected in your usual workout
- You will burn A TON OF CALORIES
- It can be used at home, outside, or at the gym!
I was given the opportunity to try out the incredible Mostfit Core Hammer, which is GREAT for any fitness level. They sent me their Core Hammer free of charge, but don’t worry – all of the thoughts and opinions I share in this post are 100% my own!
If you’re a gym newbie or fitness beginner, you won’t have any problem trying the Core Hammer… And if you’re a gym rat or a fitness competitor, you’ll see the value in Mostfit’s hammer as well as the sledgehammer workouts you can do!
Pro Tip: You can do this sledgehammer workout without a tire (which is my FAVORITE part about it because who has a tire just laying around to smash with a hammer??).
Here are some of the exercises that kicked my behind during my sledgehammer workout with the Mostfit Core Hammer:
- Sledgehammer Slams: With every other workout hammer on the market, you’d need a tire to do this exercise (or else you’d destroy whatever you hit). But with the Mostfit Core Hammer, you can slam almost anything (Key Word: almost… Use your best judgment please! And test whatever you plan on hitting with a light tap before you really go for it). As you are slamming the Core Hammer down, slide the upper hand closer to the lower hand at the base; and as you are heaving the hammer back up, slide that same upper hand back to its starting position. Trust me: This helps.
- Diagonal “Tree Chops” or Baseball Swings: Pretend that you are chopping a tree or swinging a baseball bat while keeping your core and ab muscles stationary and facing forward (don’t turn your body while you swing). You’ll do this fat burning ab exercise and feel your six pack form!
- Squats (Two Handed Grip): This is an exercise to tone your thighs, lift your butt, work your ab muscles, and more. When you try it, you’ll really feel your entire body engaged and working hard to burn fat! Hold the sledgehammer with both hands as it is in the upright position. Perform a squat.
- Squats (One Handed Grip): This is another whole body fitness exercise. Therefore, your body will be working hard to burn more calories! Start with the Mostfit Core Hammer in the upright position in one hand (it’s a balancing act!), and perform a squat while balancing the hammer.
MostFit Core Hammer Honorable Mentions:
- Bicep Curls (*Hold the hammer in the upright position in one hand. Curl your hand towards your shoulder, while keeping your elbow locked in at your side)
- Shoulder Press
- Push Ups
Most of these exercises require you to do them with each hand. Since only ONE side of the hammer is weighted, you must give each side an opportunity to work harder! So, make sure that you perform all these sledgehammer exercises with the head of the hammer facing BOTH directions (i.e., do 10 reps for the right, and 10 for the left)!
Using unique fitness equipment can add so much value to your workout routine. If you aren’t sure how to do an exercise, do some research or ask a personal trainer (like me! I’d be more than happy to help). That being said, sledge hammer exercises are FUN and can make you feel like a gladiator. Just remember, when using a sledgehammer for working out, make sure you are aware of your surroundings too. You don’t want to hurt anyone or yourself!
If you’d like a MostFit Core Hammer, you can use the code ‘MFSW10’ at checkout on the MostFit website for a discount!!
*Disclaimer: This post is a sponspored post. I am thrilled to work with MostFit on this campaign! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Health and fitness is not only important for me, it’s important for my family, too… Which includes my fur-baby! In my household, the dog is part of the family. And I want her to have a long, healthy, and happy life. One thing that will absolutely hinder her from living the best possible life is obesity. Just like there are life-threatening consequences for obesity in humans, dogs can suffer from being over-weight as well.
I’d like to re-introduce you to my pup, Ally. She just turned 3 years old and she’s the first dog I’ve ever had (raised from 8 weeks old!). Ally is a big girl. She’s weighing in at just over 77 pounds. She’s not obese… But she’s a little over the healthy weight I’d like her to be at. We’ve got some work to do. We need to get ACTIVE.
When I want to get active and reach a goal, I use my fitness tracker. Nothing excites me more than seeing how much I’ve walked/ how many steps I’ve taken at the end of the day. Upon research, I found that there’s such thing as A FITNESS TRACKER FOR DOGS.
Yes, you read that right… There are FITNESS TRACKERS FOR DOGS. And it has other cool features too! Like a GPS tracker if she ever gets out and a sleep tracker, too. WOW. I received the Whistle by Whistle Labs Inc. Life. Has. Changed. And Ally and I will never go back to life before the Whistle fitness tracker for dogs. Never Ever!
Here’s why you need the Whistle by Whistle Labs Inc. (or what I call the Whistle fitness tracker for dogs) for your dog:
1. I can see exactly how much time my dog has been active. Input your furry friends’ weight and type and it will recommend how many minutes a day your dog will need exercise. You can set custom goals for your pet to reach and receive notifications when those goals are met. You will also receive notifications if there are any significant changes to your dog’s activity and/or sleep patterns.
2. It’s a GPS Tracker. I am TERRIFIED of losing Ally when we are out and about. Yes, she’s microchipped… but the Whistle Fitness Tracker for dogs has a gps locator in it… So at anytime, I can know exactly where she is. Therefore, I can monitor my pup from the comfort of my phone on the Whistle App. It is the first device that I have come across that combines GPS technology with health monitoring.
3. Whistle Labs has NATIONAL COVERAGE. It uses cellular and GPS technology to track your furry friend anywhere in the United States
4. It easily attaches to your dog’s collar. No fussing with it! Easy!
5. This Whistle Fitness Tracker will still work even if it gets wet. Ally is a lab through and through… and she LOVES to swim! The Whistle Device withstands water with ease.
6. I don’t have to charge it very often. This is perfect for me… because I can barely keep up with charging my own phone every night! I have only needed to recharge the device ONCE in two weeks.
7. I get a notification on my phone if my dog leaves her “whistle zone” (aka home). The App will immediately alert you if your furry friend leaves its home zone
8. I can keep track of any medications I need to give my dog. You can input your fury friends’ medication schedule and the app will remind you of upcoming medication regimens
9. They have an App. And it’s really easy to use! It’s compatible with Apple iOS 7.1 or greater and with Android 4.0.3 or greater. There’s also a web app for desktop and mobile browsers.
ENTER THE GIVEAWAY HERE FOR A WHISTLE FITNESS TRACKER AND 3 MONTHS OF SERVICE!
1 Whistle Fitness Tracker & 3 months of service ($110 Value!)
If you enjoyed the Whistle Fitness Tracker for Dogs article, you may also want to read “Do’s and Don’t’s for Exercising With Your Pet!”
*This post was sponsored by Whistle Labs. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Enjoy the Benefits of Sparkling Water
As summer is winding down (at least in some places...it's still in the 90s here!), it's time to start those Fall-inspired recipes! Typically, when you hear "fall recipes" you immediately think of Pumpkin or Pumpkin-spice. But there are SO many other great foods in season this time of year! Autumn is a great time for cranberries, pomegranates, pears, grapes, and passion fruit... and not to mention the year-round fruits like bananas, apples, lemons, etc.! Sparkling water can be paired with seasonal fruits. So try some of these sparkling water recipes!
But First...Make Sparkling Water Taste Better
The past few weeks I've been hooked on Gerolsteiner's Sparkling Mineral Water. If you don't know much about Gerolsteiner, then you're missing out! Gerolsteiner's Sparkling Water has so many benefits! But I'll be honest, drinking the same thing day after day can get monotonous. Sometimes I want to change things up. The tricky part is making sure that I'm staying in line with my health and fitness goals while doing it. I don't want to consume hundreds of empty calories or excess processed fillers in my drinks. So, I've come up with a couple of seltzer water recipes with fruit!
Fruit Infused Sparkling Water Pairings
Try making these fruit water recipes with these fruit pairings and sparkling water! The fruit infusion creates some AMAZING sparkling water recipes!
My tip for this is to combine your Gerolsteiner Sparkling Water and fruit into a sealable pitcher. Then let it fuse for a couple of hours in the fridge!
Lemon and mint
Cranberry and lime
Apple and cranberry
Pomegranate and lime
Related: Gerolsteiner’s Detox Challenge
BONUS: Gerolsteiner Sparkling Water Recipes
Ingredients: Lime juice, Lemon juice, and Gerolsteiner Sparkling Water
Ingredients: Pears, cranberries, and Gerolsteiner Sparkling Water
*Cook cranberries in saucepan to help w/ consistency, then Cook pears in saucepan to help w/ consistency
*Use blender to liquify
*Disclaimer: This post is a sponspored post. I am thrilled to work with Gerolsteiner on this campaign! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Music can make or break my workout. On top of that, my headphones can make or break my workout, too. I can’t tell you how many pairs of earphones I’ve gone through trying to find the best fitness headphones or the best sweat proof headphones. Lucky for me, I received a pair of limited edition Aftershokz Trekz Titanium headphones from; as part of a Sweat Pink and AfterShokz #AwareWithPink campaign.
Stylish Bluetooth Headphones for Working Out
As you might know, October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. AfterShokz has released a pair of their Trekz Titanium headphones in PINK! And for every pair of these limited edition Pink AfterShokz Trekz Titanium headphones sold between September 1, 2016 and October 31, 2016, AfterShokz will donate 25% of proceeds to Bright Pink. Bright Pink is a non profit that focuses on breast and ovarian cancer awareness and education. Click here to get yours! You’ll even get a free case. Just add the small case to your cart and use the code “PinkGift” to subtract the case cost when you checkout.
Safety Comes First with AfterShokz Headphones
These headphones are unlike any other I’ve seen or tried before! They don’t go inside or over your ears. Now, you don’t have to choose between listening to music or talking to your running partner!
A few years ago when I was living in Athens, GA, a girl was running down Milledge Ave. and was hit by a car as she was crossing a side street. This hit me especially hard… I would run down the same street, and cross the same side street, almost everyday training for my first half marathon. Ever since then, I’ve always felt wary of listening to music while running outside. Safety is a HUGE factor and these headphones help you stay aware of your surroundings without sacrificing a good workout playlist. I. Am, Ecstatic!
I also really like that they’re wireless (no tangled mess!); they’re flexible; they’re water-proof (because let’s be honest, they’ll get sweaty!); and the battery life is great!
*Disclaimer: I received this product for free as part of the AfterShokz #AwareWithPink campaign with the Sweat Pink community. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Don’t you love it when you either eat or drink something and it just hits the spot? Whether you were itchin’ for some watermelon on a hot summer day, or you’ve been eyeing that steak you’ve been seeing on TV commercials… whatever it may be, when you finally get it – Mmm Mmm Mmm! Hands down, one of the most simple, yet so satisfying, ways to better your day. And hopefully, whatever that thing is that hits the spot, doesn’t break all the hard work you’ve been doing to achieve or maintain a healthy lifestyle (but lets be honest… it happens, and its not the end of the world!)!
Related: Gerolsteiner Sparkling Water Recipes
For the past week, Gerolsteiner Sparkling Mineral Water has hit the sport every. single. day. You may remember a previous post about Gerolsteiner, the sparkling water I was trying. If you were to ask me to summarize my first encounter with it, I could put it in one word. WOW. I never thought I would be able to enjoy a non-soda carbonated beverage so much. The perks of the minerals (calcium, magnesium, and bicarbonate) I was fueling my body with added to my enjoyment as well!
Starting September 12 until September 16, Gerolsteiner is hosting its #SparklingDetox Challenge, where you replace all your drinks (juices, sodas, etc.) with a bottle of Gerolsteiner Sparkling Water. I’m nervous to start it… because I am low-key addicted to soda. But I’m also really excited because I know how great it will be for my body!
I am always up for a challenge! Are you?! Join me in the #SparklingDetox and let’s reap the benefits together! You can win a free supply of Gerolsteiner for the challenge! Click here to find out more about the deal!. For support and comradery from fellow detoxers, you can join the Facebook group!
Have you tried Gerolsteiner’s Sparking Mineral Water yet??
Related: Gerolsteiner’s Detox Challenge
*This post is sponsored by Gerolsteiner Sparkling Water. I am thrilled to be working with them on this campaign. All thoughts and opinions are my own.