Running Tips to Help You Increase Your Mileage
Running is one of the most popular ways to exercise. But it’s not an easy task. Starting to run and/or working your way up to a certain distance takes time and strategic planning. If you jump the gun and increase your daily or weekly mileage too fast, you may end up injuring yourself… and then hindering your progress for a lengthy period of time (trust me, I’ve been there!). While I don’t call myself a running expert, I have taken myself from couch potato to half marathoner twice, and taken myself from social walker to 5k and 10k diva more times than I can count! I’ve done a lot of trial and error, and I want to share my tips and experiences in hopes to help even one person reach their running goals!
1. Pick a race.
There’s something to be said about the old saying, “Keep your eyes on the prize” When you pick a race, you’ll have that date in your mind, you’ll be visualizing “the prize.” What better way to motivate yourself to push past your comfort zone than having an event.
2. Create a calendar or a plan.
Fail to plan = plan to fail. If you have a calendar, you can split that big goal into attainable weekly goals. When I was trying to increase my mileage and work my way up to a higher mile race, I’d increase my “long run” day by one mile every 1-2 weeks. For example, I’d look at my calendar to see how many weeks I had until race day. If I was working my way up to a 10k (6.2 miles), I’d do 6 miles for my long run the 2 weeks prior, 5 miles for my long run the week before that, 4 miles the week before that, etc, while doing shorter runs on my other running days.
3. Don’t wear old, worn out shoes.
This one is more important than you might realize… When I first started running, I was putting 15-20 miles a week on shoes that I’d had for maybe 2-3 years. I didn’t think much of it at the time, until the pain in my feet, ankles, calves, and knees made me put running on hold. Running shoes are made to support your stride (and different running shoes support different types of strides). The more you run in your shoes, the less effective they get. It doesn’t happen overnight, but over a long period of time.
I’ve been wearing Mizuno’s for the last year for my running days. I’m rockin the Mizuno Wave Rider 21
‘s right now because they make my runs better… and here are my top 3 reasons why they’re my favorite running shoe:
1. I don’t get heel blisters if my socks slide down. There’s cushioning on the heel, which 1) helps my socks stay in place and 2) keep my heels from getting irritated.
2. They’re really breathable. Which is extra wonderful when you live in Georgia and it’s hot most of the time!
3. My foot feels supported but the shoe isn’t heavy. A lot of shoes that brag about how much support they give the foot feel HEAVY and almost like your foot is weighed down. I hate that. These Wave Rider 21’s aren’t heavy but they still provide the right amount of support.
4. Foam Roll, Massage, Stretch.
Seems obvious, right? Then why is it so easily neglected? If you don’t have a foam roller, they’re miracle workers. I’m not an expert, but please don’t neglect your sore or tight muscles.
5. Celebrate every single victory.
Running is hard. SO HARD. But so rewarding. Had a bad day but you still got a short run in? GO YOU! Ran .25 miles more than you thought you could? HECK YES. Didn’t feel like you were going to throw up after a hard run? SLAY. I think you catch my drift. You are AMAZING because you are taking steps to better yourself. Celebrate YOU.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Mizuno. The opinions and text are all mine.
Water. The most essential of all nutrients. We can’t live without it. So why is it so important? And past that, why is alkaline water, like Essence pH10, so beneficial for us?
How Water Impacts Health
1. The human body is approximately 2/3 water. Why? A number of reasons!
2. Our cells need it to function properly as it maintains the health of every cell
3. Our blood is comprised of nearly 90% water – which is extremely important carries nutrients and oxygen throughout our body
4. It aids digestion and the breakdown of the food that we eat
5. Water transports waste and toxins out of our bodies (i.e. pee)
6. Water helps us regulate our temperature (for example, sweating is our body’s natural cooling mechanism)
7. It protects our joints, spinal cord, and tissues
8. Water keeps us from being dehydrated (which is of the UTMOST IMPORTANCE!!)
These are just a few examples of why water is essential to our bodies. But it all comes down to this: we cannot survive without water. Our bodies will become dehydrated and dehydration can lead to death. Moral of the story: DRINK UP! However, we want to make sure that what we put in our bodies is clean, healthy, digestible, etc. Which is why we don’t drink straight out of a lake. So, we filter our water.
Furthermore, there are companies and organizations that have continued the process of creating healthy, clean water! I am fortunate enough to have been given the opportunity to try Essence pH10 Water, which is a premium alkaline water that has extra, critical nutrients in it. These include: calcium, magnesium, and zinc acetate. So while you are drinking water, you are also giving your body more of what it needs to survive and thrive.
What Is Alkaline Water?
Alkaline water is less acidic than your tap water (higher pH level). Therefore, it has pH-balancing abilities (neutralizes / lowers the acidity in our bodies) while also being very hydrating.
Essence pH10 Benefits
1. Organic hibiscus is part of their formula. Hibiscus is an AWESOME antioxidant! It helps neutralize those free radicals in our bodies and also helps stop the degeneration of our tissues and organs.
2. Some alkaline water companies use questionable processes to raise the pH of their water.
3. Essence pH10 is 100% sodium free (as opposed to other brands that use sodium based chemicals).
4. Essence water is chemical free.
5. Meets all FDA Regulations required!
Related: Gerolsteiner Detox Challenge
For me, it is really hard to drink the recommended amount of water every single day… So it gives me peace of mind to know that the water I am drinking has all these added benefits!
We can’t live without water. So you might as well drink the best! Lucky for you, Essence is doing a Giveaway for the Cardio, Weights, and Protein Shakes readers!
Essence pH10 Filtered Alkaline Water Giveaway
Change it Up with The Surge
One of the best ways to keep yourself out of a fitness slump is to try a new workout or training type. I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again: You’re less likely to skip a workout if you are excited about doing it! And on the other hand, you are much more likely to get bored if you are doing the same workouts over and over again. Redundancy will inevitably lead to burnout. Don’t get to that point! Try a new workout style, who knows – maybe it’ll be your new go-to workout!
Related: How to Get Out of Your Fitness Slump with a Sledgehammer Workout
What is The Surge from Hedstrom Fitness?
Revolutionary. That’s the first word that comes to mind when I think of Hedstrom‘s products. They’ve released the Bosu Ball, the Kamagon, and now the Surge. According to Hedstrom, the “SURGE® is a product that lets you train for everyday life. A product that truly makes you better at everything! SURGE® is “living resistance” that builds an athletic core which can take anything life and sport can dish out through intense and dynamic training.”
The Surge is a long cylinder that you can fill with water. Filling it with water makes it heavier. Theres a nifty, convenient chart on the side that tells you what the Surge will weigh with however much water you put in! It’s basically a barbell at home that you can change the weight on, without having to have a bunch of bulky equipment lying around! Bonus feature: it really challenges your stability because the water moves around inside the Surge.
In case you don’t want to read those bulky paragraphs, let me break it down for you….
1. The Surge is like a barbell.
2. You put water in it to create resistance… The more water you add, the more it weighs!
3. It’s just one piece of equipment… No more bulky gym equipment lying around and creating mess in your home.
4. The water creates a more challenging workout – Hydro Inertia Training! The water moves around inside The Surge and creates an unstable resistance for your workout moves. Every exercise you do is more challenging with these hydro-inertia principles!
5. You can do almost any exercise with the Surge (and the Kamagon ball!) now… anytime, anywhere!
Related: Cardio-Blasting Jump Rope Workout
Hydro-Inertia Training Workout
I was sent The Surge from Hedstrom to try out and it is a game changer!! I now have a great way of lifting weights on days that I don’t feel like going to the gym. Try these exercises for a full body workout with your Hedstrom Fitness gear!
Featured Hydro-Inertia Exercises:
- Half Burpee: Start in the plank position with your hands in the Surge handles. Jump your feet inward towards your hands. You can either stand up, while keeping your back straight and your chest up, or you can jump your feet back to the start position!
- Bent Over Row: Bend forward, keeping your back straight, head in line with your spine, and knees slightly bent, with the weight hanging directly in front of you. Lift The Surge towards your chest and keep your elbows tight in towards your body. Then slowly return to the starting position. You can do these with an overhand grip or an underhand grip!
- Tricep Press: Hold the weight above your head. Slowly lower the weight behind your head… but make sure you keep your elbows inward by your ears. Slowly lift the weight back to the starting position. Side Note: It helps to stand with one foot in front of the other so that you don’t strain your lower back!
- Bicep Curl: Stand with a split stance (one foot in front of the other), which protects your lower back. Hold the Surge with an underhand grip. Bring the weight up towards your chest, keeping your elbows stationary by your side.
Other Exercises for The Hedstrom Surge:
- Chest Press
- Shoulder Press
- Front Raise
- Lunge (and all lunge variations)
- Squat (and all squat variations)
- Weighted Sit-Ups
- Oblique Twists (also known as Russian Twists)
- And the list goes on! Check out this video library which has TONS of exercises to do with Hedstrom exercise products!!
You can get the Surge, Kamagon, or other Hedstrom Fitness products at the Hedstrom website, and you can use the code: SPHF25 for the next month for 25% off!
*Disclaimer: This post is a sponspored post. I am thrilled to work with Hedstrom on this campaign! All thoughts and opinions are my own.