Summer is great and all… but I’m ready for Fall! The August heat in Georgia is killing me. In fact, I think it was above 95 degrees today with 65-70% humidity. You can basically work up a sweat and get a workout in just walking to your car in the parking lot at the grocery store!
August is also the time that school is back in session – which for me, means back to work! We just finished up our first week of school. And, let me tell you, getting back into my school routine has been tough! Not to mention, the stress already associated with being a school counselor. Surviving that first week deserved some celebration of some sort. Champagne is the drink for classy celebrations, right?!
I might not be celebrating with actual champagne… but one of my fellow #SweatPink sisters just launched a new athleisure line at Fit & Flirty! Combining all of the sweeter things in life (champagne and fitness), what could be better? I guess you can call me a champagne sippin’ fitness fanatic! 😉
Now that I’m gearing up for the fall weather, I’m writing out some of my favorite workouts. I was able to get in a quick outdoor workout before it got too hot and humid this past weekend. And it was good enough to share with you all.
Champagne Sippin’ Fitness Fanatic Workout
Warm Up: Walk, jog, or do some dynamic stretches for a few minutes to get loose!
Set 1: 30 second plank, 10 tuck jumps (repeat 3-5 times)
Set 2: 15 squats, 50 jumping jacks (repeat 3-5 times)
Set 3: 10 crawlouts, 50 high knees (repeat 3-5 times)
Set 4: 20 walking lunges, 20 mountain climbers (repeat 3-5 times)
Set 5: 20 tricep dips, 50 butt kicks (repeat 3-5 times)
Cool down: walk or jog or a few minutes– then do some dynamic stretches
When you’re done with the workout, why not celebrate with some champagne?
P.S. COUPON CODE!! You can get 15% from Fit & Flirty until September 15, 2018 by using the code SWEATPINK3
Running Tips to Help You Increase Your Mileage
Running is one of the most popular ways to exercise. But it’s not an easy task. Starting to run and/or working your way up to a certain distance takes time and strategic planning. If you jump the gun and increase your daily or weekly mileage too fast, you may end up injuring yourself… and then hindering your progress for a lengthy period of time (trust me, I’ve been there!). While I don’t call myself a running expert, I have taken myself from couch potato to half marathoner twice, and taken myself from social walker to 5k and 10k diva more times than I can count! I’ve done a lot of trial and error, and I want to share my tips and experiences in hopes to help even one person reach their running goals!
1. Pick a race.
There’s something to be said about the old saying, “Keep your eyes on the prize” When you pick a race, you’ll have that date in your mind, you’ll be visualizing “the prize.” What better way to motivate yourself to push past your comfort zone than having an event.
2. Create a calendar or a plan.
Fail to plan = plan to fail. If you have a calendar, you can split that big goal into attainable weekly goals. When I was trying to increase my mileage and work my way up to a higher mile race, I’d increase my “long run” day by one mile every 1-2 weeks. For example, I’d look at my calendar to see how many weeks I had until race day. If I was working my way up to a 10k (6.2 miles), I’d do 6 miles for my long run the 2 weeks prior, 5 miles for my long run the week before that, 4 miles the week before that, etc, while doing shorter runs on my other running days.
3. Don’t wear old, worn out shoes.
This one is more important than you might realize… When I first started running, I was putting 15-20 miles a week on shoes that I’d had for maybe 2-3 years. I didn’t think much of it at the time, until the pain in my feet, ankles, calves, and knees made me put running on hold. Running shoes are made to support your stride (and different running shoes support different types of strides). The more you run in your shoes, the less effective they get. It doesn’t happen overnight, but over a long period of time.
I’ve been wearing Mizuno’s for the last year for my running days. I’m rockin the Mizuno Wave Rider 21
‘s right now because they make my runs better… and here are my top 3 reasons why they’re my favorite running shoe:
1. I don’t get heel blisters if my socks slide down. There’s cushioning on the heel, which 1) helps my socks stay in place and 2) keep my heels from getting irritated.
2. They’re really breathable. Which is extra wonderful when you live in Georgia and it’s hot most of the time!
3. My foot feels supported but the shoe isn’t heavy. A lot of shoes that brag about how much support they give the foot feel HEAVY and almost like your foot is weighed down. I hate that. These Wave Rider 21’s aren’t heavy but they still provide the right amount of support.
4. Foam Roll, Massage, Stretch.
Seems obvious, right? Then why is it so easily neglected? If you don’t have a foam roller, they’re miracle workers. I’m not an expert, but please don’t neglect your sore or tight muscles.
5. Celebrate every single victory.
Running is hard. SO HARD. But so rewarding. Had a bad day but you still got a short run in? GO YOU! Ran .25 miles more than you thought you could? HECK YES. Didn’t feel like you were going to throw up after a hard run? SLAY. I think you catch my drift. You are AMAZING because you are taking steps to better yourself. Celebrate YOU.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Mizuno. The opinions and text are all mine.
Water. The most essential of all nutrients. We can’t live without it. So why is it so important? And past that, why is alkaline water, like Essence pH10, so beneficial for us?
How Water Impacts Health
1. The human body is approximately 2/3 water. Why? A number of reasons!
2. Our cells need it to function properly as it maintains the health of every cell
3. Our blood is comprised of nearly 90% water – which is extremely important carries nutrients and oxygen throughout our body
4. It aids digestion and the breakdown of the food that we eat
5. Water transports waste and toxins out of our bodies (i.e. pee)
6. Water helps us regulate our temperature (for example, sweating is our body’s natural cooling mechanism)
7. It protects our joints, spinal cord, and tissues
8. Water keeps us from being dehydrated (which is of the UTMOST IMPORTANCE!!)
These are just a few examples of why water is essential to our bodies. But it all comes down to this: we cannot survive without water. Our bodies will become dehydrated and dehydration can lead to death. Moral of the story: DRINK UP! However, we want to make sure that what we put in our bodies is clean, healthy, digestible, etc. Which is why we don’t drink straight out of a lake. So, we filter our water.
Furthermore, there are companies and organizations that have continued the process of creating healthy, clean water! I am fortunate enough to have been given the opportunity to try Essence pH10 Water, which is a premium alkaline water that has extra, critical nutrients in it. These include: calcium, magnesium, and zinc acetate. So while you are drinking water, you are also giving your body more of what it needs to survive and thrive.
What Is Alkaline Water?
Alkaline water is less acidic than your tap water (higher pH level). Therefore, it has pH-balancing abilities (neutralizes / lowers the acidity in our bodies) while also being very hydrating.
Essence pH10 Benefits
1. Organic hibiscus is part of their formula. Hibiscus is an AWESOME antioxidant! It helps neutralize those free radicals in our bodies and also helps stop the degeneration of our tissues and organs.
2. Some alkaline water companies use questionable processes to raise the pH of their water.
3. Essence pH10 is 100% sodium free (as opposed to other brands that use sodium based chemicals).
4. Essence water is chemical free.
5. Meets all FDA Regulations required!
Related: Gerolsteiner Detox Challenge
For me, it is really hard to drink the recommended amount of water every single day… So it gives me peace of mind to know that the water I am drinking has all these added benefits!
We can’t live without water. So you might as well drink the best! Lucky for you, Essence is doing a Giveaway for the Cardio, Weights, and Protein Shakes readers!
Essence pH10 Filtered Alkaline Water Giveaway