Among the vast list of leg exercises out there, I’ve narrowed it down to 5 of the BEST leg exercises you can do to work the various leg muscles effectively and efficiently.
Ready for the top 5 best gym and home leg exercises for your next workout?
But before we get into the exact leg workout moves, you need to understand how important it is to strengthen your lower body. And also, I want to make sure you can do these exercises with ease (for confidence and for injury prevention), I’ll explain each one.
The Importance of Leg Day Defined:
- Overall Body Strength: When you train your legs, you’re actually working out multiple muscle groups! Leg Days are one of my favorites for this exact reason. It’s a great cardio workout (many of your leg muscles are the biggest in your body, so working them out is using a lot of energy and burning a lot of calories!)… AND your core is being utilized as well. Multiple birds. One stone.
- Symmetry: Ever seen someone at the gym with a huge upper body and scrawny legs? It’s not the best look.
Your 5 Best Leg Exercises Are: 1. Dumbbell Lunges , 2. Box Jumps , 3. Sumo Squats , 4. Hamstring Curls , 5. Weighted Barbell Squats
1. Dumbbell Lunges: This leg toning exercise can be stationary or walking lunges. One foot steps outward, bend your knees. Your front knee should not pass your toes and your back knee shouldn’t touch the ground.
2. Box Jumps: Stand in front of a heightened surface. Squat down to gain leverage so you can jump onto the height in front of you. Carefully step back after jumping.
3. Sumo Squats: Stand with your feet past shoulder width apart and your toes pointed outwards. Hold dumbbell with both hands and keep the weight in front of you (as pictured above). Squat down past parallel if possible, but make sure your knees don’t pass your toes. When you push up, push through your heels.
4. Hamstring Curls: This can be done on the “Hamstring Curl” Machine OR can be done on a bench/ flat surface with your legs hanging off the end and a dumbbell in between your ankles. Make sure you maintain control while curling your legs up to your butt. I think this may be the best leg exercise for bad knees. But consult with your medical doctor before giving any of these a try!
5. Weighted Barbell Squats: When doing weighted squats, form is CRUCIAL. So, use an appropriate weight (or no weight at all if you’re new to squats). Keep your chest up, and your knees behind your toes. Weighted Squats are certainly the most well known leg exercise for mass and toning – and for good reason too!
Are you ready to tone your legs?
These can be home leg exercises… or leg exercises at the gym! All of these exercises can be done at home (with the help of resistance bands and dumbbells!). Always make sure to keep form throughout all of these leg toning exercises! Safety first. When your form breaks, you put yourself at risk for injuring yourself. Additionally, stretching after doing weight exercises is beneficial for recovery.
If you enjoyed learning about the Best Leg Exercises, you’ll also enjoy Cardio Exercises to Lose Weight Fast, The Best Glute Exercises and How To Do Them Correctly, and other free workouts!
You want to lose weight and get fit. But, HOW?
Get your free e-Book to guide you on your weight loss and fitness journey.