Even though so many of us strive for a tiny tummy, a round and lifted booty is the second standard most women try to attain in their fitness programs. In fact, many songs are about, if not dedicated to, the glutes. And I’ll tell you right now, if you listen to some of those songs while doing my “Best Glute Exercise” Workout, you’ll be on fire!
How To Get Started On Growing Your Glutes
One of my top goals in my exercise journey has been to grow my non-existent butt. I was not blessed in the booty department, so I’ve had to put in WORK to get the booty I have. I’ve created a list of the BEST glute exercises that you can be doing in the gym (or at home!) to get a sexy behind.
Form is crucial for glute exercises. Your quads and hamstrings try to take over during so many leg/glute exercises (they’re bigger and stronger muscles)… You want to get the most out of the exercises you’re doing (i.e., your glutes doing the work and not your other leg muscles!). Below, i’ve included descriptions of each of the exercises on my “Best Glute Exercises” List to pair with the image, as well.
Your Top 5 Glute Workout Moves: 1. Weighted Step Ups , 2. Romanian Deadlift , 3. Overhead Weighted Lunges , 4. Hip Thrusters , 5. Curtsy Lunges
1. Weighted Step Ups: Grab a bench, a chair, or something that you can step on (and that will hold your weight!). With a dumbbell in each hand, place one foot on the bench in front of you and use that foot to step up. Push with your HEEL (to activate the glutes). Carefully step down. You can add a kick back with your second foot once you’ve stepped up onto the bench for an added glute move.
2. Romanian Deadlift: Start with your feet shoulder width apart. You should be holding a barbell, overhand grip. Flex your hips, and bend towards the ground. Push your butt back as far as you can. Bend your knees slightly, if necessary. DO NOT round your back. Your back should be arched, slightly.
3. Overhead Weighted Lunges: Hold a plate, a dumbbell, or a barbell above your head. Perform either stationary or walking lunges. Don’t let your back knee touch the ground and don’t let your front knee pass your toes! Push through your heel.
4. Hip Thrusters: You’ll need a bench (or a chair). Sit with your back against the bench (your shoulder blades should be what is touching the seat). Your heels should be close to your butt while you’re in the sitting position. Place a barbell across your lap. To perform this move (which, in my opinion, is one of the BEST glute exercises), push through your heels and push your hips up. Squeeze at the top. Go back down, but DO NOT let your butt touch the ground until you’re done with multiple reps! Optional: hold at the top for 5 seconds before going back down.
5. Curtsy Lunges: When it comes to the outer butt area (i.e., hip abductors), this is one of the best glute exercises, in my opinion! Start standing up straight. This will be similar to a stepping-back lunge… but, instead of stepping one leg straight back, you are going to cross it behind your other leg. Keep your front knee in line with your front foot and don’t let that knee pass your toes!
As a personal fitness trainer, I hope you try these best glute exercises at your next lower body workout! All of these butt workout exercises are GREAT for getting that round,sexy booty! These can be your go-to glute exercises at home as well as your top glute exercises at the gym. It’s up to you! If you don’t have weights at home for working out, get something that weighs as much as a textbook and use that as your weight. Or invest in some dumbbells for these glute exercises at home!
*Images shown in infographic are from WorkoutLabs.com. CWPS doesn’t design, create, or own these images.
You want to lose weight and get fit. But, HOW?
Get your free e-Book to guide you on your weight loss and fitness journey.